• Substitute FAQ
    Does Bandera ISD accept substitute applications all year?
    Applications are accepted and processed based on the need for substitutes before the beginning of and during the school year.
    What are the requirements for substitutes?
    • Candidates must be 21 years of age
    • Candidates should complete and submit an online application
    • If selected for substutite teaching, candidate must attend a required orientation
    • If offered a position, the substitute will be required to pay a non-refundable fee to secure a criminal background check (fingerprinting). 
    What happens at orientation?  You will
    • Learn about the mandortary fingerprinting procedures
    • Be informed of district policies, procedures and expectations for substitutes
    • Fill out other required forms
    When is substitute teacher orientation?
    None scheduled at this time.
    How does fingerprinting process work?
    More information will be given at the orientation.  However, as required by Senate Bill 9, all substitutes must be fingerprinted prior to the first day of being able to work in BISD. Substitutes are required to pay for their own fingerprinting. The cost varies based on TEA and certification levels.
    When are substitutes paid?
    Substitutes are paid monthly on the 25th of the month following the month in which you substituted.
    How are substitutes paid?
    Substitute teachers receive their pay either by direct deposit to a bank account or by deposit to a pay card.  Paper checks are not available
    What are the rates of pay for substitute teachers and paraprofessionals:
    1.  Substitute Teachers
    • Certified = $90 (certified teacher with a vaild Texas Certificate ONLY)
    • 4 year degree = $80 (bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree)
    • Non-certified/Non-degreed = $65 (GED, high school dipolma, some college or associates degree)
    2. Substitute Paraprofessionals (Classroom/office aide or secretary)
    • Non-Cert/Non-degreed; 4 year degree; or Certified = $65
    Who do I contact for information about my paycheck?
    The Payroll Office should be contacted regarding any discrepancies you may discover in your paycheck. Contact 830-460-3892 ext. 2203 with questions.
    Who do I contact for information about a 403(B) Retirement Plan?
    Contact the district's administrator, National Plan Administrators, at 800-880-2776 for more information.