|History of Bandera Schools ...
photos and documents record the existence of public schools in Bandera County
during the late 1800’s, it was on April 1st in 1935 that the Board of Trustees
of Bandera School District #1 met and organized themselves as an entity. J.F.
Langford was named President and A. Meadows was named Secretary of that first
interesting items the School Board discussed during those early years
the Board accepted a bid of $50 to wire the school building for lights, moving
away from the need for kerosene in the classroom.
the Board authorized the Superintendent to purchase the necessary equipment for
the formation of the first Bandera drum and bugle corps.
notable items in the early board minutes include: classroom textbooks being
leased for twenty five cents per year, the Board authorizing a yearly budget of
$15 to purchase books and supplies for the library.
the Board could not agree on the purchase of the first adding machine for the
district, and had to table the decision for the next meeting.
at salaries during those formative years of the district secondary teachers were
paid $120 per month and elementary teachers were paid $100 per month. The
principal receive a whopping $130 per month and the Superintendent an unheard of
$155 per month.